Redmen Season Comes to an End on the Road in Peterborough

August 18, 2010
Peterborough, On

Looking back at the 2010 season, the Redmen finished in fifth with a record of 3-12-1, they met the Kitchener Waterloo Kodiaks in the quarter finals and took that series by four straight with the total goal differential over the series being only five goals. They were then forced to meet the Peterborough Lakers who finished the season with a 14-2 record. The semi-final series was decided tonight in a winner take all “seventh” game and after a 14-3 defeat of the Redmen the Lakers move on to the Eastern Canadian championships. The final in game six was 14-5 for the Lakers that followed a game five win by the Redmen.

An announced crowd of 2,973 at the Memorial Centre welcomed their heroes with a standing ovation. The teams felt each other out for the first five minutes before Josh Wasson found the net behind Kurtis Wagar. On the next possession the Lakers came down the floor again and Wagar made three consecutive saves which seemed to settle him down and boost his mates. Score after the first period was 4-2 for the Lakers and the Redmen were very much in the game.

The teams got physical as Dustin Dunn for the Redmen and Mark Steenhuis for the Lakers were jawing with one another, this got them both two each for roughing and the banter continued in the box. Prior to that Kyle Clancy took exception with the physical play of Julian Matamoras in the Redmen end and they were both sent to the sin-bin for five minute fighting majors. The Lakers had a 6-2 lead with 22 seconds left in the second, they called a time-out and just as fans were getting up to hit the concessions Shawn Evans, with Mike Thompson on the bench for the extra man, scored on a designed play and it was 7-2 for the Lakers after two periods. The Redmen season would come down to what was left in the tank for the final forty minutes.

The strength and the experience of the Peterborough Lakers was the difference in the third. Thompson was solid in the net tonight and that was only when the Redmen were able to penetrate a very solid defensive corps in the Lakers end. The offensive prowess of John Grant et al was evident in the final frame as well. Grant scored three of his five goals in the second half of the third period. The Lakers outscored the Redmen by a total of 28-8 in games six and seven.

Referees Chris Williams and Shawn Grenier who officiated a quiet game six between these teams assessed one minor and one major to the Redmen and two minors and the major to the home side. The Lakers scored once on the extra man and shots were 65-43 in favour of the Lakers. John Cheeseborough came in to relieve Wagar at 6:04 of the third but he aggravated a knee injury and Wagar came with five minutes on the clock to finish the contest.

In the other semi-final series Brampton beat Six Nations 10-9 in game seven of that reportedly very physical match-up and will play Peterborough with the winner hosting the Mann Cup in September.

Still a few tickets available for the Mike Gray Classic Redmen Golf Tournament on Saturday at Wooden Sticks in Uxbridge. Check out the official Redmen website for all the details.


Redmen – Scott Campbell (1,1), Holding (1), Durno (1), Ball (0,1), Gillies (0,1)

Lakers – Self (0,1), Steenhuis (1,1), Tavares (1), Scott Evans (2,4), Wasson (2,3), Vitarelli (2), Grant (5,2), Lincoln (0,1), Toll (0,1), Kelusky (0,1), Shawn Evans (1,4), Clancy (0,6)

Contact: Mark Stehlin 416.525.5624


  • Shots On Goal

    • 1,177,202 since (Feb/07)
  • LITG Co-Ed Sports

  • Like Us On Facebook

  • Pages

  • Archives