Redmen Take Stranglehold on Series With Third Consecutive Win

July 27, 2010
Kitchener, ON

The Brooklin Redmen won a total of three games in the 2010 regular season, comprised of 16 games. In this opening playoff series against the Kitchener Waterloo Kodiaks they have matched that output with three straight wins for the 3-0 series lead in this best of seven round.

Kodiaks management honoured Team Canada silver medallists at the recent World Field Championships in Manchester, England – named were Redmen equipment man Paul Wade and from the Kodiaks, Paul Lobsinger, physiotherapist as well as Evan Kirk and Cory Small.

Ryan Campbell opened the scoring for the visitors with 1:05 off the clock and the Redmen scored twice more for the early 3-0 lead. The Kodiaks down 2-0 in the series realized what was happening and put a halt to things and began the first of a couple of comebacks on the night. The score after one period was all knotted at 4-4, despite an early three goal margin for the Redmen.

These teams are evenly matched and the flow of the game tonight indicated that clearly. The Redmen built up an 8-4 lead by 8:11 of the middle frame and were looking to keep the Kodiaks back. One positive among many tonight was that when the Kodiaks scored the Redmen would answer quickly and that happened at least twice tonight at opportune times. This did not allow the Kodiaks to mount as big a threat as perhaps they were able. The score after two periods was 11-8 for Brooklin, each team popped one in the final 0:30 of the second period. The Redmen also scored twice on the man advantage that period, once on a power play when Dave Campbell of the Kodiaks did not like that his older brother Scott beat him down the floor and was assessed a high sticking call. The Kodiaks also pulled starter Mike Poulin in favour of Kirk with just two minutes off the clock. The Redmen would do the same in the third choosing to put John Cheeseborough in for Kurtis Wagar.
The Redmen extended the lead to four goals as Wes McDonald fought for and won a loose ball in his end and charged down the floor and scored on Kirk to open the third period.

The Kodiaks displayed some desperation and slowly began to whittle away at the lead to the point that Cory Small with his third of the night found the net behind Cheeseborough for the 12-12 tie. Wayne Colley and Ian Wailes decided that when the score was 12-11 for the Redmen Wagar should come for a rest, Cheeseborough came in fresh off the bench and only allowed on more marker. The Redmen bench maintained an air of calm with half a period remaining. Caleb Wiles scored a clutch goal with 11:28 off the clock and the Redmen were able to hang on for the 13-12 win and 3-0 series lead. Game four is Thursday at 8 at IPSC; game five if needed is back at KW on
Saturday ay 7 pm.

Penalties on the night were quiet, couple of fisticuffs, 13 minutes to the Kodiaks and nine minutes to the Redmen. The Redmen scored twice on the extra man and the Kodiaks scored one on the extra attacker.


Brooklin – Wagar (0,2), Gillies (0,1), R Campbell (1,1), Suddons (0,1), Mc Donald (1), O’Brien (1,2), Adamson (1,1), Wiles (2,1), Griffiths (0,3), Hopcroft (0,3), Brownell (3), Gamble (0,1), S Campbell (3)

KW – Kirk (0,1), Favero (0,1), Cutten (1), Learn (1,3), Potter (0,4), Thorimbert (1,3), Williams (2,2), Beirnes (1,2), Small (3,1), Tinning (3,4),

 Contact: Mark Stehlin 416.525.5624


  • Shots On Goal

    • 1,177,574 since (Feb/07)
  • LITG Co-Ed Sports

  • Like Us On Facebook

  • Pages

  • Archives