Gut Check Time as Redmen Make Run for the Post-Season

July 2, 2009
Barrie, ON

The last time the Redmen and the Lakeshores played was the home opener for the Redmen at the end of May, that night the home side took the 8-6 win. Fast forward to tonight and the situation for the Redmen has turned a great deal more desperate. The only other win for the Redmen this season was a 6-4 upset over the Peterborough Lakers on June 10, 2009. The Lakeshores now have three wins and a hold of the sixth and final playoff spot. The Redmen will have to dig deep and a third and final meeting between these teams on July 15, 2009 in Whitby could determine which club enjoys post season play.

Tonight the Redmen bus fought rush hour traffic leaving Toronto as well as on Highway 400 north, but thanks to a resourceful bus driver arrived at the Holly Community Centre in good time for a stretch and warm up.

The home side opened the scoring with two goals in the first seven minutes before the Redmen, on a long feed to Derek Hopcroft from his defensive mates, resulted in a goal to close the gap. The first ended 3-1 for Barrie and as the period went on starting keeper Joel Weber seemed to find his groove.

Unfortunately the team struggled defensively in the middle frame and other than an early goal by David Brown (his first as a Redmen), the Lakeshores scored four times that period and after forty minutes it was 7-2 for Barrie. When the scoreboard read 5-2, Peter Vipond gave the hook to Weber and Kurtis Wagar made his way to the net for the balance of the second period.

The third period was a treat for old school lacrosse fans as Vipond settled into two-way lacrosse and put away the front door/back door philosophy for the rest of the night. That strategy almost paid off. As ex-Redmen Brandon Sanderson, now assistant coach in Barrie said after the game, it may have been great to watch from the stands but a little nerve wracking from behind his bench.
The Redmen outscored the Lakeshores by a score of 6-3 in the final frame with a pair of goals to Jon Durno and one to Matt Carroll. The line of Durno, Carroll, Geoff Griffiths, Wes McDonald and Ian Crashley was on the floor for at least one and a half to 2:00 minutes and had some great offensive chances, Crashley’s size allowed him to get in untouched on Lakeshores goalie Mike Atwood a few times.

The Redmen scored four times in the final three minutes using this two-way approach and Vipond said he was happy with that decision following the game. It certainly was tough for the Lakeshores to adjust and if Redmen had more time the result may have been much different.

Frank Lawrence and Matt Robinson assessed eight minutes in penalties to the Lakeshores and six minors to the Redmen.

Redmen will host the first place Six Nations Chiefs on Wednesday July 8, 2009 at 8:00 p.m. The following night, the Redmen will travel to Brampton to meet the Excelsiors and a reunion with ex-teammate Shawn Williams.

Details on Future Redmen Lacrosse Camp and August 15, 2009 Golf Tournament at Wooden Sticks G.C. are available at



Mainer (3,2), Carroll (1,1), Durno (2,1), Hopcroft (1,1), Brown (1), Weber (0,2), Suddons (0,1), Griffiths (0,2), Buchanan (0,1), Collins (0,1), Campbell (0,2)


Sabon (1), Attwood (0,1), Favero (2,3), Gignac (0,3), Hurley (0,1), Brown (0,1), Gilbert (0,1), Lackey (0,1), Burton (0,2), Ball (1), Sanderson (2,5), Ransom (3,2), Ivey (1)

Contact: Mark Stehlin 416.525.5624


  • Shots On Goal

    • 1,177,202 since (Feb/07)
  • LITG Co-Ed Sports

  • Like Us On Facebook

  • Pages

  • Archives