Tough Overtime Loss to the Kodiaks

June 17, 2009
Whitby, ON

The Brooklin Redmen came in to tonight’s game riding a high from last week’s 6-4 win over the Peterborough Lakers on home floor. Tonight’s opponents were the Kitchener Waterloo Kodiaks who had to fight GTA traffic on this rainy evening for a three-hour bus ride across the 401.

It wasn’t the Kodiaks who suffered from bus legs on this night, however, as they jumped out to a 3-0 lead with seven minutes off the clock. The Redmen answered with three of their own in succession in just two minutes as they got to rookie netminder Evan Kirk in the Kodiaks net. Rookie Joel Weber had only played two periods for the Redmen this season, that being on the opening weekend in Cornwall versus St Regis. The visitors scored 10 seconds after Shawn Williams tied the game and it was 4-3 for KW after one period.

At the start of the second period Major Series Lacrosse Commissioner, Jim Brady presented plaques to Redmen Head Coach Peter Vipond and Asst Coach Wayne Colley who were honoured as Coaches of the Year in 2008. The Kodiaks were not gracious guests as they got to Weber early in the second and by 3:40 of the middle frame it was 6-3 for KW. The Redmen mounted a comeback and four unanswered goals gave them their first lead of the night with nine minutes to go in the second it was 7-6 for Brooklin. Kyle O’Brien scored his third of the night to extend the lead by two goals. Brenden Thenhaus was on fire for the visitors as he had five goals and three assists. Weber appeared to be in some distress in the Redmen net with 4:25 left on the clock in the second, enough that referees Grant Spies and Jason Wiswell sent the teams to the locker room so that trainers and team doctors could take care of the young goalie.

The teams came out after a 10-minute break to play the rest of the second period (4:25 on the clock) and then a two-minute break followed by the entire final frame. Weber made his way to the Redmen net but Thenhaus scored with 3:35 to go and Vipond sent Kurtis Wagar in for relief. After 40 minutes it was 9-8 for the visitors.

The Kodiaks solved Wagar early in the third as a three goal run in the first 2:16 saw the wound open further and it was 12-8 for the visitors. As they had done in the first period the Redmen dug deep and managed to score the last four goals in regulation to send the game to overtime with the teams knotted at 12-12.

Overtime in Major Series Lacrosse is not sudden death and so the Kodiaks were able to score three times unanswered for the 15-12 win for a record of (4-3) while dropping the Redmen to (2-6). The situation gets no easier as the Redmen have to load up for a game Thursday night at the home of the Mann Cup champs, followed by a Father’s Day contest in Oktoberfest country with a 7:00 p.m. date with the Kodiaks. The Redmen return home Wednesday June 24, 2009 at 8:00 p.m. to host the Excelsiors.

Wiswell and Spies called a total of 16 penalty minutes, eight to each side. The Redmen scored twice while a man up while the Kodiaks managed three power play markers. The Kodiaks featured a number of former Redmen players in Brock Boyle, Kasey Beirnes and Nate Andres.



Williams 3,2 (Player of the Game), Hutchins 2, Carroll 1,1, O’Brien 3, McBride 1,3, Hopcroft 1,3, Mainer 1, Weber 0,1, Wagar 0,1, Crashley 0,3, Campbell 0,1, Hoar 0,1

Kitchener Waterloo

Watt 2,3, Boyle 2,1, Benesch 2,1, Thenhaus 5,3 (Player of the Game), Beirnes 1, Small 3,3, Rooney 0,4, Cutten 0,2

Contact: Mark Stehlin 416.5 25.5624


  • Shots On Goal

    • 1,176,879 since (Feb/07)
  • LITG Co-Ed Sports

  • Like Us On Facebook

  • Pages

  • Archives