Redmen Back at .500 After Impressive Victory

June 11, 2008
Whitby, ON

With one third of the season in the books, the Redmen were able to get back to the .500 mark after a big win against the Kitchener Waterloo Kodiaks. It was the Kodiaks who scooped the last playoff spot last year from the Redmen in the dying days of the 2007 campaign. A number of former Redmen were in Kodiaks colours tonight, Dave Campbell, a recent signing, Nate Andres, Kasey Beirnes and Steve Dietrich who is the General Manager of KW this year.

After a big win Sunday in Six Nations, Kurtis Wagar got the confidence of the coaching staff and got the start, Mike Poulin assumed his spot between the pipes in the visitors end. Mark Gardonio and Paul Johnston were the referees assigned by the Ontario Lacrosse Association for the contest.

After battling three hours of rush hour traffic, the visitors were able to shake off any sign of bus legs and three goals in the first half of the opening frame for the 3-0 lead. The Redmen did not panic and answered with three of their own in a stunning 90 seconds to knot the game at 3-3 after the opening frame.

The Redmen welcomed Bob McBride back from injury and he scored a short-handed marker to open the second period and give the home side their first lead of the night. Rookie Derek Hopcroft, who would go on to be named Player of the Game, scored a great goal from outside reminiscent of Nick Trudeau during the 2000 Redmen Mann Cup run. The teams traded goals in the middle stanza, including a veteran move by Derek Suddons. He grabbed the ball on the right hand boards and instead of sending in the first player cutting to the net he looked up and patiently sent in the trailer, Steve Hutchins who countered with his third of five on the night. Score after forty minutes was 8-8 and the feel of excitement was palpable at IPSC.

The teams traded goals early in the third as mistakes were made on both sides of the ball, resulting in five goals in the opening 3:17 of the period. It was 11-10 for the Redmen at that point. The home side never looked back as they controlled the ball en route to a 15-10 win to improve to 3-3 on the year, matching the record of the Kodiaks who were 3-0 before three straight defeats, twice on the weekend to St Regis and tonight.

Penalty minutes were 18 in total, five minors to the Redmen and four to the Kodiaks. The Redmen scored one short handed and one power play while KW got one with the extra attacker.

With two goals and three assists tonight, team leader, Shawn Williams is just three goals shy of 600 career goals. Steve Hutchins continues to be a pleasant pick for the Redmen as he scored five more tonight, three for Hopcroft and four helpers to Wagar.

Next up for Brooklin, a home game Wednesday June 18, 2008 at 8:00 p.m. sharp when the Brampton Excelsiors come to town, a team that the Kodiaks beat 10-8 last week in overtime.



Hutchins (5,1), Williams (2,3), Hopcroft (3,1), Conrad (1), Graham (1,1), Campbell (1,1), McBride (1,1), Mainer (1,2), Wagar (0,4), Suddons (0,1), Jackson (0,1), Winder (0,2), Matt Carroll (0,2)


Brown (2), Watt (0,2), Martin (0,2), Rooney (1,3), Benesch (2,2), Fleming (0,2), Beirnes (1,10, Ross (1,1), inch (0,1), Llord (1,1), O’Brien (1,1), Andres (1)

Ron and I did a quick recap of the game below:

[livevideo id=C78AC71B45B040D5BF087459AF68E0C5]


  • Shots On Goal

    • 1,176,879 since (Feb/07)
  • LITG Co-Ed Sports

  • Like Us On Facebook

  • Pages

  • Archives