Big Win At Iroquois Lacrosse Arena: Wagar Steps Up

June 8, 2008
Ohsweken, ON

The Redmen capped off a busy week tonight on the road against the Six Nations Chiefs. On Wednesday, Derek Suddons scored a dramatic last second goal to give the Redmen their first win of the season against these same Chiefs. The next night a road trip to the Holly Community Centre in South Barrie resulted in an 11-8 loss for the Redmen so tonight’s game had huge early season implications. The Redmen did not want to go to 1-4 and the winner would win the season series between these teams. At the final buzzer, the Redmen had a record of 2-3 and won the season series with the Chiefs two games to one, mission accomplished.

The visitors arrived in Ohsweken with plenty of time to spare for tonight’s contest; a lighthearted warm up was just the ticket for the visitors tonight. From the opening face off the Redmen had momentum in this game, Kurtis Wagar in the Redmen net was solid and with each save both he and the players in front of him were gaining confidence. The visitors took a 5-1 lead to the first period intermission, as Ken Montour in the Chiefs net was not able to match the strong defensive start enjoyed the Redmen.

Colin Baker wasted no time in the second as he opened the lead even further just 21 seconds in to the period. The Chiefs rattled off three straight including a short-handed marker to Cory Bomberry, making his debut for the Chiefs this season. Score was 6-4 for Brooklin midway through the second, one further goal by Scott Campbell, his second of three on the night, made it 7-4 for the Redmen after forty.

Campbell got his hattrick just over a minute into the last period. However, the Chiefs, never known to roll over and die, once again popped in three unanswered to make it 8-7 with seven minutes on the clock. Peter Vipond said after the game that he saw some of his players making decisions that could have cost the team the game instead of continuing to do the little things that had been working all game. The Chiefs had a power play in the dying minutes with Steve Hutchins off for a high sticking call. Despite the firepower of Cory Bomberry, Cody Jamieson, Craig Point and Delby Powless, Wagar stood tall in the Redmen net and the visitors were able to hang on for the win. Shawn Williams scored the final goal on what appeared to be a clearing attempt to kill the clock that happened to find the back of the empty Chiefs net.

Redmen improve to 2-3 and as noted, have won the season series between these teams taking two of three games. That statistic could have implications down the road as head to head series record is used as a tiebreaker for playoff seedings.

Roger Nurse and Tom Moxam called a total of 46 penalty minutes, 12 to the visitors and the balance to the Chiefs. Billy Dee Smith argued a little too vociferously which cost him a game misconduct and may have hurt the Chiefs as they missed his strength on defense and quick transition ability.

Next up for the Redmen a home game against the Kitchener Waterloo Kodiaks. The Kodiaks with a 3-0 record were in first overall before the weekend but are coming off a pair of losses to the St Regis Indians.



Campbell (3), Williams (2,1), Hutchins (1,1), Baker (1,2), Griffiths (1,1), Hopcroft (1), Wagar (0,2), Mainer (0,2), Winder (0,1)

Six Nations

Jamieson (2,1), Hill (2), Vyse (1,2), Point (1,1), Bomberry (1,2), Ditzell (0,1), Kane (0,1), Montour (0,1), Gilchrist (0,1)

Contact: Mark Stehlin 416.525.5624


  • Shots On Goal

    • 1,177,217 since (Feb/07)
  • LITG Co-Ed Sports

  • Like Us On Facebook

  • Pages

  • Archives